MTD CLOSING LEITCHFIELD MANUFACTURING FACILITY
This one is a bit personal to me, as a MTD CORP employee. I have spent many hours in the Leitchfield plant. There are some really great people there.
MTD Products Inc. has announced plans to close its manufacturing facility in Leitchfield by June 2020.
The facility employs approximately 295 people and manufactures component and aftermarket parts used to supply the company’s assembly facilities.
“MTD is grateful for the hard work and dedication of these employees and the continued support of the Leitchfield community,” said Craig Dukes, senior vice president of Human Resources. “We recognize the significant impact this closure will have on employees and their families and will be providing separation support including severance benefits, outplacement services and preferential hiring opportunities at MTD’s other US facilities.”
MTD made this decision after careful and ongoing evaluation of its manufacturing footprint in relation to future strategic needs, according to Eric Creech, MTD’s Communications and Marketing Manager. The move will improve overall efficiency and better position MTD to deliver competitive products in a rapidly evolving outdoor power equipment industry.
MTD, located at 2555 Brandenburg Road, remains committed to U.S. manufacturing and has increased employment at its other U.S. manufacturing facilities over the last several years, the company said. The move also allows the company to focus on better leveraging advanced manufacturing capabilities in its other U.S. facilities.
According to Crain’s Cleveland Business, power tool maker Stanley Black & Decker Inc. purchased a 20 percent stake in MTD in September 2018 for $234 million. Under the terms of the agreement, Stanley Black & Decker has the option to acquire the remaining 80 percent of MTD starting July 1, 2021.